Thursday, November 20, 2008

Otomo Yoshihide + The Thing 191108 / ramble


This show was a little treat. There were many indie rock shows and disco things around Belfast but I chose to attend a noise feast full of jazz things.

A good time was had listening to experts extract thoroughly odd and extreme tones from their instruments.



WARNING - Here's where the post goes off on one:
I took some footage of the show, but have decided not to put it straight on youtube. I was thinking about the value it would add to or subtract from the band. A number of questions popped into my head.

If people can see and hear a live show online, will that make them want to attend the show and buy merch, or will they be satisfied with (or turned off by) a recording thus informing a potential customer of what they might be letting themselvs in for?

It is particularly tricky when it comes to musicians who improvise and do not play standard songs with the same form each night. Is it more important to experience it as it happens, as opposed to listening to a recording of it?

How many 'live/bootleg' albums have I enjoyed? My listening experience wasn't marred by my not being in attendance/being born at the time. But then again flash media/mp3/tape/CD/vinyl don't offer the same thing as a show.

If I publish footage I've taken from a performance, do I own the mechanical rights to it? I think so; as I have hard copy, but it was taken wthout permission, and so could be seen as evidence that I 'stole' it. I have been asked to take down clips from youtube by a record company in the past; I did as they asked.

Now I intend to ask the people I record if I can post their material. Their word is not a contract, but usually a good indicator of how their business associates will react to finding their material distributed for free (and of dubious quality) online.

I wonder how many audioblogs have contacted the people whose material they post? I have seen the disclaimer (maybe cut n' paste jobs?) declaring that the mp3's are supposed to be promotional material, some even including links to sites where legitimate products can be purchased, with the 'if you don't want it posted here, drop me a line and I'll remove it' tag. Does this in some way suggest that the poster is aware that their posting of someone else's product might be objectionable?

I imagine training to be a lawyer dealing with online distribution and copyright must be a headache these days...

I'm gonna avoid posting material unless I've been in contact with the people who made it from now on.


Labels: , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home